In weeks prior, my friend showed up as normal with a can of Tired Hands Milkshake IPA with passion fruit. To my understanding, it’s a collaboration brew with Omnipollo. This was amazingly different. Big notes of tropical fruits, citrus, passion fruit, and vanilla ice cream. Being from Michigan, most of the Tired Hands stuff is alien to me. All I know is that I can’t get enough hops. This brew was mind-blowingly good. As with the majority of the NE hops, I can’t get them.. so let’s make them.
After stumbling through numerous threads, blogs, and postings I came across a fellow member on homebrewtalk.com (mintyice) who had some inside information regarding the milkshake brews. He claimed to have made several, so I inquired.
“TH/Omnipollo recipes are closer to: 70% pils, 20% wheat, and 10% oats. Lots of whatever juicy/tropical hop you can get. London Ale III again, 1.5 lbs. Lactose, 2.5 vanilla beans in the keg. (the recipe I have has 1 lb. dextrose at the end of the boil. OG ~1.054. 2lbs+ of whatever fruit you want (I’d go closer to 1lb per gallon). I used juice in a recent mango IPA (32oz) and you can use 32-64oz of whatever good juice you can get from Whole Foods/Trader Joe’s.“
I also learned that TH/Omnipollo uses pureed apple in the Milkshake IPA. Listening to a podcast, I absorbed as much info as I could. I decided to put 4 huge granny smith apples, peeled and pureed, into my mash. All the pectins.
My brew equipment, as primitive as it is, has been downsized. If I’m going to make a great beer, I want to have a lot of it to go around. I enlisted the assistance and equipment of the MI Beer Guy. Typically I develop a recipe based on my 2.5 gallon equipment, especially when in development. I was persuaded to go big, so the recipe was doubled.
(Columbus, Belma, Mosaic, Citra) and (Columbus, Belma, Citra, Motueka)
Golden Delicious Apples (skinned pureed)
AP Flour, Time: 15 min
Strawberries (2lb – gallon)
Vintner’s Harvest Sweet Cherry Puree – 1 49oz can
Wyeast – London Ale III 1318
Brew day went fairly smoothly aside from a partially stuck sparge from what we believe to be from the apples. Going forward, if I ever used apples again, they would go in the boil. In addition, Belma was a happy accident. I’ve experimented extensively with Belma. I want it to work for me.. I want it to be great, but I am yet to see it. There’s lots of fresh strawberry aroma and flavor on Belma, perhaps it’ll work out and lend itself to the strawberry in my recipe. It certainly played out well in the aroma coming from the kettle in the whirlpool – WOW.
I realize that I may have gotten a little wild with the fill in my fermenter, so I racked off a gallon into my 2.5 gallon conical, and topped off with another half-gallon of sanitized water.
Aeration for 2 minutes using my handy drill paint stirrer attachment. The yeast is a second generation strain previously used in Galaxy Gravy built up with a starter for 24 hours. Fermentation began within 12 hours of pitching. The next morning I arose to the back room (where I ferment) of my house filled with a creamy, banana, berry aroma reminiscent of walking into an ice cream parlor.
Dry hops went in at fermentation slowed. Since this is a bigger beer, I added a charge of yeast energizer and nutrient to encourage full attenuation before adding my fruit. I had intentions to rack to the secondary, but I want to minimize oxygen exposure potential.
6/13 – I added 2lb of chopped strawberries (soaked in sanitizer) and pureed with the ninja blender and added to the conical. Also added 1, 49oz can of vintner’s harvest sweet cherry puree to the larger fermenter. It seems that the yeast still has some work to do. The larger fermenter is still active. I’m going to keep my eye on the conical as I expect that to finish sooner. My, the base beer is tasty!
6/20 – The cherry portion finished at 1.018 on June 20 and was kegged atop citra, mosaic, and vanilla bean. I’m VERY impressed at how the WY1318 took to this. That’s almost 10 points down from what my software estimated. Pressure was applied at 25psi, purged of O2, and rocked for a few minutes. After transferring, I took a shot glass of the beer for myself. Huge citric, stone front nose. Some burn from the alcohol; after all, this one turned out to be about 9.5% not counting the fruit addition. My best guess is 10.5 – 11% abv. There is a nice, mild sweetness from the lactose. The color is straw pale. I can’t wait to try this in its final form when the vanilla and keg hops take hold. Wednesday is my b-day and I intend for it to be happy.
The strawberry portion in the conical is being cold crashed. Added to the conical were citra, motueka, and vanilla bean. This is my first experience with motueka and it smells amazing. I can’t wait to experiment with these hops in the future. I did not pull a sample as the top yeast did not flocculate out yet, thus, my logic behind the cold crash. I want to mitigate the chance of getting that in the bottles.
6/27 – Bottled the strawberry portion and will be giving it away to local friends for their feedback. The cherry portion is drinking very well. On the nose is sweet vanilla, slight cherry, lots of tropical fruit. Huge, thick mouthfeel with light bitterness, full flavor, and a bit of a bite from the alcohol. This was an excellent beer and I can’t think of much that I’d do differently. Cheers – Mike