When doing my research on Tired Hands Milkshake IPA, I found an interesting podcast on STEAL THIS BEER. Check it out if you haven’t before. On this particular episode, the guest was Jean Broillet, brewer from Tired Hands. In this episode Jean shared some inside tips on the Milkshake style as well as some juicy nuggets from the Tired Hands brewery. One, being the use of Thomas Fawcett Oat Malt.
I’m fortunate to live near one of the best LHBS around, Adventures in Homebrewing. AIH isn’t a sponsor, but I don’t know what I’d do without their continued assistance and advice. The guys at AIH were able to score me a few pounds of Oat Malt. From what I’ve read, Oat Malt can be difficult to crush resulting in reduced efficiency. The guys ran the Oat Malt through twice on its own before combining it with the rest of my grains. There is a serious husk on this stuff!
To really see what the Oat Malt bring to the table, I decided to go with a very simple grain bill. The hopping is inspired by Tired Hands Hop Hands. We’ll see where this gets us!
Pale Two Row
Harvested from Tree House cans Julius and Green
This beer mashed in at 152F with a batch sparge consisting of two infusions of 168F water. 4.5 gallons of wort were collected. The boil was uneventful aside from some difficulties keeping the flame up on the burner. Sometimes it fights me when you’re into the boil of your second batch. Today was no different. The wort was chilled to 180F prior to adding my whirlpool additions. The wort was chilled to pitching temperature, aerated, and then the first round of dry hops were added with the yeast slurry.
The OG turned out to be 1.052 when I was aiming for 1.058. I’m still honing in on the correct water volumes using my equipment. I cannot wait to use a new boil kettle. This beer finished at 1.012 after 6 day. 2 days were allowed to clean up. Biofine Clear was added and the beer was cold crashed for 48 hours. The beer was transferred to a keg filled with c02. The tubing revealed a hazy and pale liquid. I then purged of oxygen, and carbonated at 25psi for 24 hours before being dialed back to serving temperature for the remainder of carbonation.
I then took a pull. Normally I wait upwards of a week to drink this, but I was out of beer and needed some hoppy goodness for my 4 day weekend. In this case, I was rewarded with an overall nice pale ale. I should have added more hops because the aroma is quite faint. This was my first time using the combined hop blend. Perhaps my centennial was a bit old, as well. Now that I think about it, I originally opened that package about 7 months ago and it’s been sitting in the freezer since.
Lessons learned, crank up the whirlpool additions, go a little stronger on the bittering charge.
I’m going to bottle off the rest of this keg and see if I had similar results to my previous mosaic/amarillo batch. The beer really turned for the best after bottling. If I have favorable results, I’ll adjust my process to fermenter, keg to pressurize, dry hop, and cold crash, and then transfer to a serving keg after a week.